Sunday, May 18, 2008

celebrating a decade with my cute boy...& making a memory.

a few weeks old:

one:

two:

three:

four:



five:

six:seven:eight:nine:

ten:

picture?

hmmm. well, a funny thing happened. my camera is full of wonderful birthday photos, my boy moving up to his final rank in cub scouts (because of his birthday...& hard work completing the requirements), and a little family celebration honoring him, including a way fun outing with his papa. the thing is, is that the super fun outing with mom and dad occured in our not totally ordinary attire (it occured immediately following church) and also included new birthday clothes (alec), and just me being my usually jazzy dressed self. where was our outing, you ask? oh, well, it was on a canoe. do you know where i'm going with this? if you have guessed it you are right....we tipped, we flipped, we almost completely sunk the boat. our angel was a hippie austin local (at which point we pretended we were not from 'round here) who dropped the f-bomb about 400 times in our short time together, but who seriously was glowing in our eyes for completely saving us and tending to our every shaken need. carlos and i were completely traumatized (me a little more so than him) and alec was dying laughing (totally hysterical!) the entire time....like immediately after coming up from the water he was belly laughing and carlos and i were just dumbfounded. my biggest panic, fear, freak out (literally I couldn't breath and i was covered in moss) was my camera: hense the absense of the cute 10 year old alec photo. so so so so sad. i was happy to hear in the midst of all the shaking and trying to pull ourselves together while the hippie dude helped my cute boy jump from the rope swing (which is WHY we tipped to begin with...we were watching another guy jump, started to crash into a branch, and we all leaned to avoid it, thus tipping and dumping us all into the water). so yes, why not let alec jump from the swing...we were already there collecting ourselves. and so while we were there carlos looked at me with a smile and said, "we just made a memory." and so as simple as that, as we recovered we laughed and made a big fat 10th birthday memory for my cute cute boy. i love him so.

3 comments:

squeezeme said...

Oh. My. Word! I can not believe you dumped the canoe!! Perhaps I am very happy now that I did NOT take my 2 yr old and 6 month old as well a the 8 and 5 year olds in the canoe on Townlake last month on a particularly windy day.....I was disappointed then, and am counting blessings now! HAPPY BIRTHDAY AWESOME ALEC! WE LOVE YOU!

Cassie Stewart said...

That is a crazy and very entertaining story! Can't believe you are 10 Alec!!! especially loved the baby photos of those cute cheeks I used to kiss!

Jennifer said...

Of course I remember you! I remember seeing you, cassie and your cute baby show up at church. We were all so interested in that baby - after all, they are quite a novelty in student wards! I can't believe it has been 10 years! Anyway, your boy is beautiful and I think I'll be back to keep up with your blog.
Hope you are well!