reason #1 why Aquarius is dear to my heart...
JEFF.
I met Jeffery about 23 years ago. That made us 7 years old, and in the 2nd grade. There was a presence about him, possibly about each of us, which made us always aware of each other...but didn't really know each other (we were 7). We played with different friends, were always in different classes, and he was a boy and I was a girl so there wasn't a ton of overlap in playing together in harmony...boys and girls all together in elementary school.
I met Jeffery about 23 years ago. That made us 7 years old, and in the 2nd grade. There was a presence about him, possibly about each of us, which made us always aware of each other...but didn't really know each other (we were 7). We played with different friends, were always in different classes, and he was a boy and I was a girl so there wasn't a ton of overlap in playing together in harmony...boys and girls all together in elementary school.What I do know is that everyday at about 2:45 this rowdy boy gave me such a hard time on the school bus. He teased me, and I teased him. He made up the most random off the wall stories...one of which included a lavish trip around the world that he went on...with the bus driver. Yeah, I totally tried to call him out on it, but wouldn't you know he somehow managed to convince us all (the entire bus full of gullible kids!).
SO our teasing somehow turned to wrestling and he would stuff me under the seats...and sit on me. How was that even legal? The funny thing is that I vaguely remember doing it to him too. Interesting how that part seems to be a bit foggy to me.
Our "fighting" continued until one day the bus driver made us Bus Monitors. I have no idea to this day what our exact role was, but I know that we suddenly thought we were amazing! We bossed people around and became the super obnoxious bus monitor duo "helping" the bus driver out. I'm sure the bus monitor plan backfired because I don't know how effective we were. In fact I remember 2 things about that- we thought we were powerful and cool, and that we were now on the same side (instead of fighting against each other, we now were a team). Luckily we both have always had pretty good hearts, so I don't think there was any bullying or anything. Gosh I hope not. That all seems to be a bit foggy to me, too.
One day in 6th grade a girlfriend of mine called me to tell me that the boy liked me. Within oh about 45 seconds he was calling me. I think the phone conversation went like this, "Stephanie, did Melissa just call you and tell you that I like you? Cause I don't. Pause. Pause. Pause. So, what are you doing?"
And our completely platonic, lifelong friendship began that day (he's convinced we'd make a great movie). He was my phone conversation everyday for many many years. We used to even challenge ourselves to stay on the phone as long as possible. We each had our own phone lines and managed on more that one occasion to stay on until 7am. Okay, so we weren't always talking, and there was a little sleeping...but we were on the phone. We were always at each others houses, and there were many late night rocks thrown at my window for a mischievous hello when he was afraid it was too late to say hi. Those are actually some of my favorite memories. Once my dad opened the door to scare him (it was a planned family scare)..and he ran right into a low tree branch swooping from our big oak tree. I am even smiling writing that...because it was sooooo darn funny! (Obviously he wasn't hurt or it would be less funny.)
So this boy danced with me at the dances, and held me when I cried over silly boy issues. And of course, I was somewhat in the whirlwind of his girl issues. He was always on top of my cheerleading events, and I was always cheering him in sports. One of our favorite things to do growing up was to write notes. I still have allll of them! He was the most awful speller and so we often drew pictures to represent words. It makes these notes so fun to go back and laugh (I mean look) at! :) We would also frequent our favorite yogurt shop and take pictures in the photo booths at Chuy's. In fact, we are picking that tradition up again this year (don't forget, Mister!).
In high school I remember the day that the cute nickname his mom had for him as a kid (which he pretended to despise in front of everyone) suddenly became cool and it was monogrammed on a hat that he wore to school. He always checked in when he could tell life was hard, and even held me when I would "run away" to his house. I remember looks that we shared saying that even though we're in high school and life was different, we were still us. I also remember the most wonderful letter he gave me just before high school graduation confirming to me that always and forever we would be best friends.

We checked in often throughout college. I was there the day he graduated yelling and cheering once again alongside his amazing, Huxtable-like family and his wonderful, adorable girlfriend. I was there the day he married that most adorable, wonderful girlfriend that I am beyond proud to say I know and love. In fact, somehow on his wedding day all of his groomsmen had their own preparations, and Jeff and I found ourselves together, the two of us, getting him prepared for his walk down the isle. How lucky was I?! 

Even that was several years ago. We have even since endured our 10 year high school reunion. While you would think that grown up life would keep us too occupied to keep in touch, we are still analyzing and uplifting each other in this life. Jeffery spends his days as Chef Jeff of Houston. I am so proud of his success.
He is a breath of fresh air to me. When I think of him I smile. When I talk to him I am giddy having 1 million things to say or just wanting to soak in his every word. When I see him I am teary and fulfilled.
He is a breath of fresh air to me. When I think of him I smile. When I talk to him I am giddy having 1 million things to say or just wanting to soak in his every word. When I see him I am teary and fulfilled.And so here we are........January 29th 2008.
This wonderful boy, then teen, and now man is 30 years old....today.
Today I am celebrating my oldest friend.
Jeffery Lynn Lewis
Happy 30th Birthday to you!
with many years of love,
stephanie
No comments:
Post a Comment