Monday, January 28, 2008

on a mission.

I am a crazy lady on a mission.
Have you ever had a drawer, a cabinet, a room, or even a house in disarray???? I am one of the most obnoxiously organized people...yet, I am so chaotically unorganized. For instance, here are my calendars through May2008. I first printed them from my computer and then blew up copies at Kinko's which then became a wallpaper-like assortment on my wall. And while I was there I decided to bind the travel-sized originals so I would have my own to go set. It's fantastic!!! I could stare at them for hours...the big or little copy. I feel mentally organized because I can see my life for the next few months. It all seems so clear on my wall which helps me sort the clutter in my mind. These calendars make me happy.
yet....
Every night before I go to bed, I see this...
This beautiful antique mirror is above my bed. So before I close my eyes, I get a recap of....well, the insanity. This is the only part of my house that is quite so chaotic other than a storage closet full of things for my future classroom. And I've got to come to terms with that soon, too. So a little over a week ago, and after some encouragement to face all that was involved, I did it. I began to conquer all that you see in that mirror. Let me just tell you, people, this is paperwork (unfiled) that I have been stacking since I had my child in 1998! Plus a massive absurd collection of magazines, and a huge collection of THINGS that I can't seem to part with due to my inherited-from-my-grandma-pack-rat-ways, which I now justify with "I'm a teacher" and I need it all. Since I began the unearthing of the crazy wall in my room I have thrown away about 15 trash bags (not an exaggeration), cried about 3 full hours, and have sat about 2 full hours just staring at it trying to figure out a plan for it. It's looking beautiful. Tomorrow I am dropping off some things to my mother's because now there is even paint and distressing involved. My head is spinning with ideas for a more simple peaceful room....and night's sleep.
As the crisp, clean new look comes together (actually just the reorganization rather than a complete room transformation), I'll photograph the new vision I have before nodding off to la la land.

1 comment:

Heather said...

That's exciting! Can't wait to see your after pic!