I received that golden phone call and my internship is official!
shew!
yeah!
woo-hoo!
ahh...
So once upon a time when I was a wee 22 year old new mother wingin' it by myself with my 2 year old I got connected to this wonderful little place. In this place I found a wealth of information that applied to anything you ever wanted to know in relation to children and parenting. Hallelujah!!
I was so in love with my child and with being a mother, even in the oddest of circumstances, and all I wanted to do was be better. I could not absorb it fast enough. They had these fantastic parenting classes that I would attend that would give me this rush of rejuvenation as a parent, as a woman, and as an adult making good choices for my child, family, and self. I got this extra charge of patience and "I can do it" attitude. I got so many ideas on different approaches to parenting and teaching my child, and also to enhancing my relationship with him. It was wonderful!! Over the years I have continued to attend when my semesters will allow me, although never as often as the first few years. It changed me as a mother, as a parent. I hold those classes, even that instructor, and of course the place very near and dear to my heart. Now it's about 7 years later....and I get to be a part of those parenting classes. THAT is my internship.
Holy MOly, can you believe it?!
This is very special for me and I didn't quite realize how emotional I'd be about it. It was one of the first experiences I had that drew me in to the world of child development and studying families and children specifically. My undergrad in education was based on an experience, connection, and feeling I had when I was 15. And my graduate experience in family and child studies started with the feeling I had as a new young mother sitting in these classes. And now I'll be helping to teach them my last semester of grad school.
Life is good.
4 comments:
Connections?
Yep!
sounds perfect for you steph! congrats on going out the way you wanted!
thanks girls!
Post a Comment