"Step away from your momma's...it's time to start practice."
"Mom's, I've got insurance...stop rubbing on little Johnny when he gets hurt."
"This isn't Girl Scouts."
"If you're good enough to be on my team, you'll stop acting like a little girl."
"Parents, if one of my coaches calls Johnny an idiot, don't take it personally...this is football."
The last 2 weeks I have been enlightened to the world of hard core youth football. The above statements are only a small part of what I became aware of. My son loves football. He LOVES it and he is really good. But he's 10. I hardly think that's the age (if ever) to throw him into a group of men who choose bullying as a form of motivation. Grrr.
I have been processing, reprocessing, forbidding, and then okaying this whole dramatic experience. Because we would be spending more than 1/2 of the week with these non-nurturing friends, not to mention the huge portion of my dinero that they would be receiving, I decided we will sit this one out.
In this moment, my cute boy is feeling good about that decision. I'm sad too though (and I know once it's a reality for him, he'll be a little sad, too). These youth sports are SO fun!! I'll be doing some investigating to find an organization/league/group that isn't quite so degrading. Anyone know of one in central texas that motivates a bit differently?? I am super okay with strict, firm and competitive (aside from his pure love of the game, I think it's also one of the aspects my boy is attracted to)....not so okay with all the other mumbojumbo.
No comments:
Post a Comment