Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I arrived at the designated house and saw what looked like an army of boys with parents sprinkled here and there and the massive charter bus that my own cute teenage boy road away on 8days prior (on the morning of my birthday).  The boys were unloading the truck, organizing the loot on the lawn, finding their own belongings and loading them into their family cars.  My own child alone had a massive hiking backpack, a cot, a battery operated box fan, a pillow with bedding attached and a camelback wrapped around it, a drawstring backpack, and a basketball.  In the (super organized) mess of everything I was scanning for my own boy as I walked up to the yard.  Then truly an (even) taller version of my son came around the other side of the bus with a smile and in an (even deeper) voice says, "Hi, Mom!" and gives me a hug. 

He's a part of the herd of workers and gathering his things.  He's also collecting trash and putting away things in the owner's home.  I'm watching him, happily soaking in his every detail.  He loads the car.  He's laughing and talkative with his friends and leaders, and tan, and dirty, and adorable.  I know him but these constant changes during this stage seem like he gets a software update each night when he goes to sleep....I get to see each day what newness he brings to life.  To be honest I can't take my eyes off of him.  It's like watching an infant/toddler develop so drastically during that stage of his life only again as they're older and appreciating the changes right along with you.  Don't dread getting a teen...it's way cool!

He's so kind and helpful and talkative (not that he wasn't before, but even more now).  We attended church (where I swear he looks more alive and himself than any other place), have ventured out to HarryPotter (which was fantastic), and also had an indoor movie marathon in our short time since he's been home.  Right now he's at the neighborhood library (which he walked to) with his summer reading list and library card in hand so that he can get a few books.  All self-initiated!

He earned all 6 six merit badges: Archery, Riflery, Shotgun, Horsemanship, Music, Photography, and did some kind of Wilderness Survival with some of his peeps and slept in the woods on rocks with nothing but their clothed bodies.  He also hiked up a mountain at 5am to watch the sunrise and thought it was awesome.  He said it rained everyday and there were no bugs.  I think both of those things alone must have made it dreamy.  Plus his cot and fan and 70degree nights!  I'm so proud of him.  He said he didn't even get homesick once!  Last year was so awful for him on so many levels so to hear this was music to my momma ears.  I wrote him a short letter for each night and he said they helped a lot too (he was probably just being nice;). 

It feels so good to have him home.  Man, I love that kid.

No comments: