Monday, June 29, 2009

Dear Stephanie,
I have a few things I'd like to say. Beginning with: I like you. I really do. I don't always show it, but I do. I especially like your desire to be better. And that you have great grand intentions of working to get there. I feel excited and happy and powerful when I see you doing that work. It usually involves moments on a track or a treadmill, or in a particular gym with particularly great people. And moments when you are talking and analyzing with THEprofessional. And when you are magnifying your gifts...usually in your church callings, and life work. Also when you are struggling with a decision (this? or that?, chocolate? or carrot?, etc.) and make the right one. And when you are doing absolutely nothing...rest, relaxation, and fun because you choose it (rather than to escape with guilt from everything else). I love when I see you obediently living the gospel as best you can. I see that it makes you feel good, and puts an extra pep in your step. I see that it makes you better.

I see your child watching you, and I feel comforted. I wouldn't want him looking anywhere else.

Your body is beautiful. Really. It is whole and healthy. It walks and runs and jumps. (It occasionally pees when you jump rope, but eh..it is what it is.:) ) It lifts and carries. It hugs and holds and comforts. It stands confidently regardless of what you're feeling inside. It keeps going. It moves as you ask it...to create and build and craft and such...allowing what is in your mind to be visually represented in a way that you understand. It house's your spirit. Your beautiful divine spirit. It house's this emotional self you are constantly working to understand. It house's that brain that you spent so many years tweaking and constructing, and sitting in class after class to educate. You have quite an expensive brain, come to think of it.:) Your feet are getting stronger! If nothing else, aren't you skipping because of that?:)

So, I was thinking about you today. On this lazy, hot Monday. I was thinking you should know these things. I was thinking I might need to make more of an effort to both tell you and show you that I love you. The inside and outside of you. And so I will. I will make that effort in important and insignificant ways. And when you believe me, I think you'll be happier. Cause that is my wish for you, you know. To be happy and healthy and peaceful and safe. To love your body...to be free from hate and fear of you in that body. Cause I like you. I really do. I just don't always show it, but I do.With love,
Stephanie

4 comments:

Sisters Lose 100 said...

I love this!! I might have to write a love letter to myself to:) and all that you said was undoubtedly true it's going to be awesome working with you next year!!

AngelinaMagdelina said...

I love your photo. What a nice post.

Lauren Bingham said...

Ohh stephanie you make me laugh. I love this and I think you're great.

Nanna said...

You are so talented. I'm always amazed when I read your pieces. By the way, darling picture of you. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.