Tuesday, November 20, 2007

this post is not a good read for children.

I made a parenting mistake.
I really thought it was such a good idea because my cute boy seemed ready. So much skepticism. So many rumors from other children. So many straight up questions that forced me to lie. I thought perhaps if he finally heard the truth from me it would be safe & okay. I thought I could turn this situation & make it wonderful from a different angle.
It will still be magical & wonderful. We will still celebrate him. Nothing will change...only his knowledge. I have contemplated my approach practically since his birth 9 years ago. I have planned this specific night for a while, & envisioned this dreamy way it would all go down. I lit oh, about a bajillion candles, laid out a vintage Christmas table cloth on the floor where it would all take place. I had a plan, a presentation. I was feeling good. And it bombed.
Last night I took a simple, innocent, magical, childhood myth away from my child.

I feel awful.
Am I awful?

1 comment:

Mindy said...

Not awful. Not at all. You didn't do it to be malicious or unloving. Just bad luck. He'll forgive you.

(Truth be told, I'd rather have that talk bomb than the birds and bees talk...right? Wink, wink, nudge, nudge...hahahaha!)