Monday, October 8, 2007

Round Top.

My mom turned 52 & had only 1 request for her birthday...ROUND TOP, TEXAS. She can't stop talking about it, so I'm thinking she had a pretty fabulous time. :) Happy Birthday, MOM! For those of you not enlightened to the Round Top experience, I will do my best to show you. There was no way to capture it all...(remember I was shopping, too). There were sooo many moments that I would have died to get on camera!!
So Round Top is the Disney Land among the antique/craft show world. Have you ever been to a craft or antique show? Well, this was 140 of them (140 SHOWS!) all plopped down into the coolest artsy country towns in Texas (Round Top, Carmine, & Warrenton). Literally miles of fields full of possibly thousands of vendors from all over the world (it's also advertised in Country Living magazine). It's only twice a year, and is more than faNtastic. It is an experience like no other.


With that being said, you will understand when I say that there are some HARDCORE Round Toppers.
My most favorite by far was the woman in her late 60s to early 70s with her polyester pants hiked up & her purse on her shoulder as she was riding a 4 wheeler down the street....to shop! are you laughing, because I was dying!!


Then there were the ladies with the decked out UT golf cart...with the plant on the back....


Here are some more shots...
this one (below) actually belonged to a vendor...she drives it!


and the award for the MOST ORIGINAL NAME goes to......

I was under a tent finding the exact items on my list for a price way better than I anticipated, & listening to the sounds of Enya (a favorite of mine) really taking in this wonderful place. I paid for my TREASURES and turned the corner to find this booth...

(in the LDS temple you wear all white clothing, & this little space looked like a bright light in the mix of everything with all the white! She (the vendor) was selling white PJs though in her little tent called DREAM) For a second I was really justifying even how great this place was for my spirit!
So ladies & gents, here (below) is the town security...yes, that is a SHERIFF on a horse...in jeans. There were several of them, I suppose to make sure all was swell!
And here is is folks: cheesecake on a stick, frozen dill pickle on a stick, & chocolate covered banana on a stick. I was so impressed with this little place. I didn't try anything, but I'm kind of wanting to experiment at home!
So here is my cute boy...I love love love that he is into this stuff also!
His wife is going to LOVE me for dragging him on these excursions...yes?!!
comics were his big treasure at Round Top this year.
(last year it was swords & pocket knives) Alas, after about 9hrs it was time to leave...
We loaded the Honda Civic Clampet-style, at which point we became completely delirious! My mom and Alec were dying squished in the back with uncontrollable giggles (see below for proof of the insanity)!!
On the way home, somehow I made a turn & ended up on this...
where we magically found this...
Seriously, the Round Top experience was a wOndErland of beautiful things that we just kept stumbling upon. It is a wonderful wonderful little/massive day trip & I would recommend it to anyone!

4 comments:

Heather said...

OMG!!! That was hilarious! When is the second Round Top show? April? I'm thinking I definitely need to make that? Ladies event???

stephanie said...

1st weekend of april and 1st weekend of october. But it actually starts a week or two before that....that's something new we learned this year. SOOOO I can find out details and let you know. I don't know how much Jaime & Candace will love it- it's pretty hardcore! BUT I think it would be so fun if we all went!!

Anonymous said...

looks amazing. i would love to go sometime as well. gosh you are so blessed to have stumbled onto something that revives your spirit. happy birthday to your mom!

Cassie Stewart said...

yeah, i'm definitely there next oct. or maybe april??? the pics are great and fun to read!!!